Wednesday 21 August 2013

The Joy of Sex Civilisation 5 Mods

In this year's Steam Summer Getaway Sale, I picked up Civilisation 5 Gold, which equates to the game with all the bells and whistles included, other than the biggest and shiniest one, the "Brave New World" expansion. It's like a GOTY (Goatee) edition, you know the drill.

I was tentative at first, not every game has it's own in-game encyclopedia, after all. I was worried I would be out of my depth, but with the correct settings, beginner difficulty etc. - everything was fine! Channelling Oda Nobunaga, my samurai ripped through Siam, Edinburgh, then stopped for green tea and cucumber sandwiches near Uluru (Ayers Rock.)
This was incredibly enjoyable, a board game without the tedious arguments and cheating when nobody's looking. I haven't played multiplayer yet, mind you.





I was extremely excited then, when one day I stumbled upon the Steam Workshop for Civ 5. All of a sudden the floodgates were open, and so much awesome content was made available to me. Sometimes, mods for games seem a bit pointless. Yes, they're adding new content to the game, but especially with games like Minecraft and it's modding community, a modder doesn't entirely think about the mod itself, and how it fits in with the world it's modifying.

With Civ 5 though, it doesn't matter. Take this collection of Adventure Time Civilisations for instance, each one is balanced well, and has a specialty that fits the character that leads them, Like The Grasslands Civ led by Finn, where all land units can see 1 space further at all times and move 1 space further during Golden Ages, due to their Unique Ability, Adventure Time!


My last offering, for today at least, is a blast from the past that I'm very excited to try in a game. I present to you, the Beavis and Butthead civilisation mod!


No, really. This civilisation is completely true to it's source material with the Chick Museum replacing the regular museum, and Burger World replacing the hospital, of all things. It also has a unique wonder to build called The Great Cornholio, which grants the use of the Great Cornholio unit, a beast which has 500 attack and the ability to hit twice in 1 turn. It's also one of the first Civ mods that has custom music, and quite possibly the most hilarious diplomacy screen.


I hope these few mods will keep any Civ V playing readers occupied while I search out some more, comment below if you know of any mods you think I might like.

0 comments:

Post a Comment